One of my most vivid childhood Christmas memories is rolling out (and sneaking bites of..) cookie dough.
Unlike the dough of my childhood, this version has only 6 ingredients – and is completely gluten/wheat-free, sugar-free and vegan (no eggs, no dairy). I know what you’re thinking: How could this possibly work or taste good??! I assure you these are awesome. And the dough – whether raw or cooked – is completely delicious!
- 3 cups almond meal (also called almond flour, or ground almonds)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, softened
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1½ Tsbp ginger (grated fresh ginger root or powdered is fine too)
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients together. If you want a gingerbread taste to your cookie, add optional spices. Refrigerate dough until firm (about 2 hours / overnight - or up to 5 days). The dough will feel very firm, but due to the low melting point of coconut oil, it will soften easily when it is handled.
- Unlike traditional cut out cookie dough, there is no need to dust the rolling surface with flour. Just roll out however you like... use a rolling pin, a glass or just squish it down with your palms 😉
- Cut out or make free form cookies. Decorate if/as you like - we use toppings like dried currants, sliced almonds, goji berries, mini chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds - but the sky's the limit.
- Yet another benefit to this recipe: no need to grease the pan. Arrange your cookies on the pan and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan or on a wire rack, then transfer to a plate, tin or tupperware. Store cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the fridge (I only throw them in the fridge if they are a bit soft - If I took them out of the oven too early... :s )
Sorry “nut free” people. I have not experimented with seed substitutes yet.
As simple as these cookies are, there are options to spice it up, go plain jane vanilla, or decorate as you like!