I’m going to keep this post short and sweet (and a little sour). It’s officially summer and I just want to be outside in the garden, playing with the kiddos and practicing on my slack line.
This refreshing and simple salad is super tasty and I could (and do) just drink the left over dressing on its own.
- about 3 big leaves of kale (I like curly kale for this, but any type of kale will work), stems removed, finely chopped (about 4 loose cups)
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- ½ grapefruit, peeled with skin removed (about ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup pecans or pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Other optional add-ins: arugula, avocado, cucumber, dried currants or cranberries, bean sprouts, goat cheese, celery
- ¼ c olive oil
- ¼ c lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- dash salt n pepper
- turmeric and cayenne (optional)
- Rinse kale and pat dry in a tea towel.
- Remove stems (retain stems for homemade broth - see Compost Broth post).
- Chop kale in very small pieces - the smaller the better.so it attracts more yummy dressing.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake thoroughly to mix.
- Toss kale with dressing and massage into leaves to soften slightly. Let sit for at least 5 minutes or so (this helps to break down the tough cell walls of the kale)
- Add grapefruit pieces and hemp hearts, plus any additional add-ins, like nuts/seeds, as desired.